About Scientific Certification Systems
Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) is a global leader in independent certification and verification of environmental, sustainability, stewardship, food quality, food safety and food purity claims.
For more than 25 years, SCS has developed internationally recognized standards and certification programs in pursuit of the highest level of environmental performance and social accountability. Many assessments undertaken by SCS are based on innovative life cycle assessment methodologies.
SCS assessments lead to the recognition of accomplishments in greenhouse gas inventories and offsets, agricultural production, food processing and handling, forestry, fisheries, flowers and plants, energy, green building, product manufacturing and corporate social responsibility.
SCS conducts conformity assessments against globally recognized standards developed by highly credible entities.
SCS takes its responsibility as a neutral third party seriously:
- SCS’ quality system and company policies ensure insulation from commercial, financial and other pressures that might influence the findings of a certification, verification or validation assessment.
- Each SCS Program Director/Manager is responsible for identifying, analyzing and documenting potential conflicts of interest relative to project-specific evaluation, audit and certification activities.
- SCS requires all personnel, internal and contracted, to reveal any situation known to them that may present them or SCS with a potential conflict of interest.
SCS is financially independent from its clients and operates based on fees for service.
To be a global leader in providing third-party environmental, sustainability and food quality certification, auditing, testing and standards development.
To achieve this vision, SCS programs and services:
- Recognize the outstanding achievements of companies, institutions and organizations who are meeting the highest levels of performance in environmental protection, social responsibility, product safety and quality; and
- Stimulate continuous improvement on the path toward sustainability. In this undertaking, we employ a life-cycle framework, state-of-the-art science, proven analytical methods and performance metrics and professional expertise.
To accomplish our mission, our programs and services are oriented toward:
- Promoting management system certification, product certification, inspection, validation and verification in accordance with the applicable certification standards;
- Assisting industry and commerce to implement relevant systems and adopt practices that minimize impacts on human health and the environment;
- Delivering world-class assessment and certification services;
- Continually monitoring market situations and regulatory requirements; and
- Continually improving SCS services to meet multi-stakeholder demands.
SCS core values include, but are not limited to, integrity, commitment, excellence, transparency, superior technical competencies, environmental sustainability, social responsibility, caring for the community, client and customer focus, human rights and recruitment of the best possible people.
SCS also does business as NutriClean, GreenCross and Sustainable Certification Services.